Progress Report: The search for a publisher

Right now we are self-publishing. I am searching for a publisher. It is an interesting journey. The book "Writer's Market" is very extensive and I was amazed by the high specific specialty publishing companies. Unfortunately, I did not find any that specialized in pig or animal stories. In June, I sent out quite a few queries, which came to almost $200 in postage. The blurbs say it can take 3 to 6 months to get a reply, if a rejection notice is even going to be sent. I am so grateful for places that accept simultaneous submissions! I still have quite a few more queries to send out. My next task is to organize the publishers and stories I submitted in Excel so I can keep up with them. I will share more on this. To keep things simple and in order, I am going to post follow-ups as comments to this post.

5 comments:

Steve said...

Best wishes on your new "Grand Adventure"!

Nice lady in the brown boots said...

Well, so far, Piggy Tales stories have been sent to applicable publishers, accepting unsolicited manuscripts in the "Book Publishers" section. These are larger American companies.

To follow:#1-wait for reject notices, #2- submit to "Small Presses", #3-submit to "Canadian Presses".

I still need to get the ones I sent into Excel...

Nice lady in the brown boots said...

I did it! I have all the information in Excel. Now, all I need to do is enter the rejects and the new submissions. Little by little...

Nice lady in the brown boots said...

I just got a few more reject notices. I don't really mind because each reject will get me closer to my acceptance letter. I just don't understand why they companies don't keep their websites updated, as far as whether or not they accept new or unsolicited manuscripts at this time.

The Canadian presses seem to prefer Canadian authors living in Canada. A few accepted non-Canadian submissions, but also accepted gay themes and I don't feel that will portray the image I have in mind for the stories, so I passed on those.

I got an email asking if there would be more options with an agent. No, not really, as best I can tell from the information in the Writer's Guide. Agent only presses are very few.

Onward for more submissions!

Anonymous said...

What an excellent story!
I have read the book and I have really enjoyed it well… that was after my daughter Alexis read the book first (I had to wait and wait …)she was so glued to the book and after I had read the book we gave the book to our 10yr old niece Nicole ,to read and it was just the right weather condition as it was storming outside ,lightning and thunder and rain .I must admit that this is very unusual weather conditions for Johannesburg South Africa the last few months .Nicole was so chuffed when she read that even little piggies are scared of storms and she has realized that whenever her parents tell her not to do this or not to do that when its stormy weather there is a reason as to why she should listen and follow the rules just like the piggies had to do .
Sorry im a bit very late but we have had load shedding at the most inconvienenttimes.